The Center for Imaginative Action. Take the next step.

Imaginative action is focused in the present and works with the untapped imaginative forces within all of us. At The Center for Imaginative Action we guide clients toward a fresh future of their own choosing.

The needs of our clients vary from people who are looking to invent or reinvent themselves, to those that desire a more meaningful life, to clients who choose toƄ retreat to Florence, Italy, a center of genius and the imagination, and away from the work-a-day world for transformation and renewal.


We dull our lives by the way we conceive them. We have stopped imagining them with any sort of romance, any fictional flair. -James Hillman in The Soul's Code.



Friday, January 13, 2012

An Excellent Day in NYC



My wife Alecia and I are in New York City this week. The temperatures are above average for New York and well above average for Minneapolis. I have walked 12 miles so far through the sublime Central Park. It is a challenge to get ones’ head around the park. According to some sources it contains 843 acres and 26,000 trees. These 843 acres represent some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Yet, in a city know for its’ greed, the developers were banned and we have this jewel.

You witness there a constant stream of joggers, walkers, bikers and tourist bikers along the way. The park is very well cared for. Men and women trimming the trees, raking the flowerbeds, picking up the litter and garbage. As a person that grew up in the 1960’s I have to say it seems like an honor to walk around The Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. Have you ever seen those shots of her being caught by a photographer enjoying the park alone? New York City is a precious place. Those who know me understand that I prefer living in Santa Monica, the beach community within Los Angeles. That is true, I may be one of the last, but I love LA. Yet, New York City is very hard to beat.

Consider my day today. I am sure you know the type of days when you start out spilling and burning yourself making morning coffee? This day was the opposite of that. I left the apartment about 8:20 and immediately ran into one of my students from the Steiner School and her mother. Sheer coincidence (synchronicity?) led me to see, at the mere breaking of dawn, two of my favorite people in the world. Then I arrived at the home of my friends who invited me to see their daughter, and three other former students of mine, participate in an assembly at her new Waldorf School.

The Brooklyn Waldorf School really has something good going. Their new home is in a spectacular building. I have seen the full spectrum of Waldorf initiatives from the smallest to “the legendary” (in their minds at least), and the Brooklyn Waldorf School is an inspiration. We were honored to be in the 4th grade room during snack and observed them during recess. My friend took me on a full tour to allow me to understand the opportunity that this beautiful space affords.

Afterwards we ran some errands and then went to Eataly for lunch. What an elegant experience we had at Manzo!  The food and the service were spectacular but did not compare to the conversation that my friend and I had. I explained the mission of the Center for Imaginative Action to him, and not only did he get it, he is living it. My friend is a life long creative type, who has had tremendous success in his pursuits and now has decided to learn to become a pilot. This forces him to develop the exact precision of a scientist, which Carl Jung would have seen as the opposite of his actor/artist personality. Now he gets to be an accomplished creative person with precise thinking skills, in Jung’s terms a more individuated person.

As if that was not enough, tonight Alecia and I attended a “Music on 4” house concert on the Upper West Side. Abbie Gardner of Red Molly, Pete Kennedy of The Kennedy’s, Abbie’s father Herb Gardner on the trombone, and Craig Akin with his base circa 1850. These artists produced an incredible acoustic performance. Here are a few of the photos Alecia took.


Now, after this great day in NYC, we are home in our apartment and feeling very grateful for the city, the people in the city, and the fact that we are here. With all the troubles in our country, and the history of mistakes that we have made, let's allow Central Park in New York City to be a symbol of America getting it right.

.  

No comments: