The Center for Imaginative Action. Take the next step.

Imaginative action is focused in the present and works with the untapped imaginative forces within all of us. At The Center for Imaginative Action we guide clients toward a fresh future of their own choosing.

The needs of our clients vary from people who are looking to invent or reinvent themselves, to those that desire a more meaningful life, to clients who choose toå retreat to Florence, Italy, a center of genius and the imagination, and away from the work-a-day world for transformation and renewal.


We dull our lives by the way we conceive them. We have stopped imagining them with any sort of romance, any fictional flair. -James Hillman in The Soul's Code.



Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Joy of Quiet


The Joy of Quiet

On this morning of January 1, 2012, the day my new business “goes live on the web”, I woke up to our normal Sunday ritual. I made the coffee, the fire, gathered the Sunday New York Times and Alecia and I sat quietly together reading in front of the fireplace. 

Starting a new venture is either scary or exciting depending on how you look at it. I truly have no idea of what will happen. Yet I have my clear vision of the service that I want to provide and am certain that there is an unmet need in the marketplace.

As I moved through The Times one section at a time I came to the “Sunday Review”. I skipped the first page entirely and read several of the inside pieces. Then, when I was about ready to throw the whole thing in the “already read” pile, I noticed that on the front page there was a circle. Circles have been sacred symbols in many cultures and that fact alone seemed to grab me out of my habitual routine. At the bottom of the page was an opinion piece written by the author Pico Iyer called “The Joy of Quiet.” http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/opinion/sunday/the-joy-of-quiet.html?src=me&ref=general
This article will be required reading for anyone attending the daylong or weeklong retreats that my new business offers.

Everybody knows that electronic screens, whether offered by TV or computers or smartphones have taken over our daily attention. Mr. Tyer hits the nail on the head with his observation that, “The only way we can do justice to our onscreen lives is by summoning exactly the emotional and moral clarity that can’t be found on any screen”.

On this first day of the year 2012, The Center for Imaginative Action, in the name of bringing peace and quiet back into our lives, begins to offer its’ services at www.imageact.org.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Love your blog, Mr. Stevens! Quiet and thoughtful. I can almost see a Jung-looking fellow (though fitter and trimmer and with a better barber, of course) with a pipe and a warmed snifter of cognac. (btw, it's Pico Iyer, with an "I"!)